SubjectRe: Stale NFS handles on 2.4.2
On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 04:43:46PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Saturday February 24, wrote:
> > I have my home directory mounted on one computer from another. I
> > rebooted the server and now the client is saying Stale NFS file handle
> > anytime something goes to read my home directory. It has been this
> > way for about a day. Shouldn't any caches expire by now?
> It isn't that a cache needs to expire. It sounds like it is a cache
> that needs to be filled.
> The kernel keeps a cache of ip addresses that are allowed access to
> particular filesystems. This is visible through /proc/fs/nfs/exports.
> It is filled at reboot by "exportfs -a" or "exportfs -r" which gets
> information from /etc/exports and /var/lib/nfs/rmtab.
> So check that /etc/exports contains the right info.
> Check that /var/lib/nfs/rmtab lists the filesystems and clients that
> you expect to have access, and then run "exportfs -av"

checked, verified, re-exported, still Stale NFS file handle on client.
I also used tcpdump on server and when I do ls on my home directory
(this is where I see the Stale NFS message), it does not generate any
network traffic. It can't be the server if the client isn't asking
for it.

> > Both server and client are running 2.4.2.
> >
> > I'ved tried `mount /home -o remount`, and reading lots of other
> > directories to flush out that entry if it was in cache without any
> > results.
> >
> > I was hopping to avoid unmounting, as I would have to shut about
> > everything down to do that.

| David Fries |
| |