    SubjectRe: Reiserfs, 3 Raid1 arrays, 2.4.1 machine locks up
    As other posts have pointed out, if you have BAD HDMA cables, you will
    experience problems. One thing I would suggest is that you
    add kernel.* /dev/console to your /etc/syslog.conf so that you see
    any errors resulting from the kernel code. Also I would suggest that you
    open another virtual terminal and leave tail -f /var/log/messages and keep
    an eye on it when the system could possibly crash. This should help you
    out a little bit.

    At 09:36 PM 2/22/2001 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > I partitioned the 2 drives (on 1st and 2nd controller, both 1.3 GB each)
    > > into 4 total partitions. 1st is swap and then the next 3, 1 primary, 2
    > > extended are for raid 1 arrays. I've given 20 MB to /boot (md0), 650MB
    > > to / (md1) and the rest (400+MB) to /var (md2). I format md0 as ext2
    > > and md1 and md2 as reiserfs. When I go to untar the image on the cd to
    > > /mnt/slash (which has md1 mounted on it), the system extracts about 30MB
    > > of data and then just stops responding. No kernel output, etc. I can
    > > change to the other virtual consoles, but no other keyboard input is
    > > accepted. After resetting the machine, the raid arrays rebuild ok, and
    > > reiserfs gives me no problems other than it usually replays 2 or 3
    > > transactions. If I tell tar to pickup on the last directory I saw
    > > extracted, it gets about another 30MB of data and stops again. I've
    > > waited for the raid syncing to be finished or just started after the
    > > arrays are available and it doesn't matter.
    >Try running sync; sync; sync; ... while untarring.
    > Pavel
    >I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    >Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

    - - -
    Jasmeet Sidhu
    Unix Systems Administrator
    ArrayComm, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:44.936 seconds]