SubjectRe: [rfc] Near-constant time directory index for Ext2
Also sprach H. Peter Anvin:
} Martin Mares wrote:
} >
} > Hello!
} >
} > > True. Note too, though, that on a filesystem (which we are, after all,
} > > talking about), if you assume a large linear space you have to create a
} > > file, which means you need to multiply the cost of all random-access
} > > operations with O(log n).
} >
} > One could avoid this, but it would mean designing the whole filesystem in a
} > completely different way -- merge all directories to a single gigantic
} > hash table and use (directory ID,file name) as a key, but we were originally
} > talking about extending ext2, so such massive changes are out of question
} > and your log n access argument is right.
} >
}
} It would still be tricky since you have to have actual files in the
} filesystem as well.
}
But that's just a user space issue, isn't it.

(Just kidding :-)