    SubjectHashing and directories
     I was hoping to point out that in real life, most systems that
    need to access large numbers of files are already designed to do
    some kind of hashing, or at least to divide-and-conquer by using
    multi-level directory structures.

    A particular reason for this, apart from filesystem efficiency,
    is to make it easier for people to find things, as it is usually
    easier to spot what you want amongst a hundred things than among
    a thousand or ten thousand.

    A couple of practical examples from work here at Netcom UK (now
    Ebone :), would be say DNS zone files or user authentication data.
    We use Solaris and NFS a lot, too, so large directories are a bad
    thing in general for us, so we tend to subdivide things using a
    very simple scheme: taking the first letter and then sometimes
    the second letter or a pair of letters from the filename. This
    actually works extremely well in practice, and as mentioned above
    provides some positive side-effects.

    So I don't think it would actually be sensible to encourage
    anyone to use massive directories for too many tasks. It has a
    fairly unfortunate impact on applying human intervention to a
    broken system, for example, if it takes a long time to find a
    file you're looking for.

    I guess what I really mean is that I think Linus' strategy of
    generally optimizing for the "usual case" is a good thing. It
    is actually quite annoying in general to have that many files in
    a single directory (think \winnt\... here). So maybe it would
    be better to focus on the normal situation of, say, a few hundred
    files in a directory rather than thousands ...

    I still think it's a good idea to do anything you can to speed
    up large directory operations on ext2 though :)

    On the plus side, hashes or anything resembling tree structures
    would tend to improve the characteristics of insertion and removal
    of entries on even moderately sized directories, which would
    probably provide a net gain for many folks.

    --
    /* Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, ebOne, formerly GTS Netcom */
    #include "stddiscl.h"