    SubjectRe: Detecting SMP
    On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > > yes, just run the famous mptable program. If the machine is SMP then it
    > > will have a valid Intel MP 1.4 configuration tables so the program will
    > > show meaningful output.
    > Does that allow you to detect multiple processors... or just an SMP board?

    the answer is in section 4.1 of the Intel MP 1.4 spec:

    "An MP-compliant system must implement the MP floating pointer
    structure, ..."

    So, one would normally expect this to mean an SMP board rather than
    multiple processors, _HOWEVER_, I can imagine a very clever MP-aware BIOS
    implementation which detects that there are many processors and prepares
    MP floating config table and does _not_ prepare it otherwise. So, it all
    depends on the BIOS implementation.

    Actually, I never tried unplugging all-1 processors from my SMP machines
    and seeing what sort of MP table is left...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.020 / U:79.832 seconds]