    SubjectRe: 2.4 tcp very slow under certain circumstances (Re: netdev issues (3c905B))
    On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 10:47:24AM +0100, Ookhoi wrote:
    [snip]
    > We have exactly the same problem but in our case it depends on the
    > following three conditions: 1, kernel 2.4 (2.2 is fine), 2, windows ip
    > header compression turned on, 3, a free internet access provider in
    > Holland called 'Wish' (which seemes to stand for 'I Wish I had a faster
    > connection').
    > If we remove one of the three conditions, the connection is oke. It is
    > only tcp which is affected.
    > A packet on its way from linux server to windows client seems to get
    > dropped once and retransmitted. This makes the connection _very_ slow.
    [snip]

    It's been true for some time now that there are several firewalls, RAS, and
    NAT devices that break TCP connections in subtile but horrible ways when they
    encounter SACK, timestamps, have header compression enabled, or other
    'exotic' features.

    Has anyone compiled a list of such bugs so that a test application could be
    created?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.025 / U:1.792 seconds]