    SubjectRe: [LONG RANT] Re: Linux stifles innovation...

    Jeff> FWIW, -every single- Windows driver source code I've seen
    Jeff> has been bloody awful. Asking them to release that code
    Jeff> would probably result in embarrassment. Same reasoning why
    Jeff> many companies won't release hardware specifications... The
    Jeff> internal docs are bad. Really bad.

    Speaking as a user, I would much prefer to use an open source driver
    that is "bloody awful" rather then a closed source driver that still
    might be "bloody awful", unless I am confident that the vendor will
    support me if I encounter a bug. (IMHO "bloody awful" means "awfully
    buggy").

    In the past, I have had a case where my AGFA scanner stopped working,
    as the software kept coming up with illegal operation errors.
    Technical support were not the least bit interested in helping (no one
    else has reported having the same problem), but instead blamed the
    problem on my computer (try reinstalling it again, maybe this time it
    will work?) Or: bring the scanner in, and if the same problem occurs
    on our computer, we will fix it, otherwise we will have to charge you
    for testing it.

    At one stage I tricked the consultant into copying down the CPU
    register information, but I got the strong impression that they
    weren't interested in diagnosing the bug (they probably didn't have the
    programmers anymore).

    I ended up having to reinstall the entire MS-operating system on the
    computer so it would work again. However, my feeling is that if I knew
    what the problem was, it would have been easy to work around, eg. by
    editing the appropriate entry in the system registry. I couldn't do
    determine this myself though, without access to the source code.

    (the scanner in question died about 1 month after warranty expired,
    with very little use, so I went and purchased a HP scanner instead.)
    --
    Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>