    SubjectRe: Is this the ultimate stack-smash fix?
    ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

    > There is another much more effective solution in the works. The C
    > standard allows bounds checking of arrays.

    The C standard does not allow reliable bounds checking on {signed,
    unsigned, vanilla} char arrays, because the corresponding pointers can
    address the individual bytes in each object, even the object which
    follows the array. To implement things in an efficient manner, you
    need fat pointers, which would make sizeof (long) /= sizeof (void *),
    which would break quite some software, I think.

    IMHO, C is a hopeless case in this area. Fortunately, there is a
    number of other programming languages out there which do permit proper
    bounds checking on arrays (and have strong, static typing and other
    gizmos which make shooting yourself into the foot unintentionally a
    bit more difficult).

    --
    Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/