SubjectRe: 2.4.x SMP blamed for Xfree 4.0 crashes

On 13-Feb-2001 David Woodhouse wrote:
> The crashes got less frequent when I started running X against
> glibc-2.1
> (note _running_ against glibc-2.1, not just compiling against it
> and running
> against glibc-2.2). But they were still happening.

I'm running RH6.2 with glibc-2.1.3-22

> In the week or so since killing xscreensaver, neither of the boxen
> on which
> I was seeing this have fallen over. Another box on which I killed
> xscreensaver but didn't run X against glibc-2.1 is still suffering,
> albeit
> less frequently.

Yes, a number of the xscreensaver modules cause XFree to crash - they
always have. I have previously tested them all and disabled the ones
that crash Xfree.

But, under 2.4 I have had X crash whilst I've been using it - which
didn't happen under 2.2.

> Looks like two separate bugs - I see no reason to expect that
> there's only
> one such bug causing X to fall over :)

It's a good premise :-)

E-Mail: Tony Gale <>
I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.
-- Gilda Radner
The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.