SubjectRe: LILO and serial speeds over 9600
Tim Wright wrote:

> Yup,
> those who fail to learn from TCP are doomed to re-invent it, badly, at the
> wrong level <GRIN>.
> Seriously, the console subsystem on the Sequent (now IBM) NUMA-Q systems
> originally used UDP. It wound up as a serious mess. We changed to TCP.
> I'll admit that the NUMA-Q console subsystem does more than what is being
> proposed here currently, but it's likely to grow.
> In general UDP is only appropriate if you *can* afford to drop data.
> Did RDP ever get anywhere ?

That's the whole crux of the matter. For something like this, you *will*
drop data under certain circumstances. I suspect it's better to have
this done in a controlled manner, rather than stop completely, which is
what TCP would do.

-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt