    SubjectRe: Programmatically probe video chipset
    Date
    Paul Powell <moloch16@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Is there an API or other means to determine what video
    > card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
    > on his machine?

    for PCI and AGP cards you can scan through the bus and fetch all
    vendor:device numbers of type 7 (vga compatible) IIRC and then match them
    against a database. i have the code for this if you're interested.
    for ISA cards that has PnP functionality you can get the vendor string using
    a PnP interrupt service routine, I have never actually done that but i know
    that it is possible.
    But for most cards you can use the VESA VBE API to fetch the information,
    you will have to do this from real/virtual mode afaik.
    If you're not interrested in programming hardware you can use the pci
    interface in /proc instead which is the best solution if you're running
    linux. ;o)

    -henrik

    Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:88.700 seconds]