    SubjectRe: spelling of disc (disk) in /devfs
    > It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used
    > the 'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO,
    > were reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.

    No, "disk" is correct for everything, but we use "disc" for a reason.

    It is a non-word, which helps with trademark protection.
    It is odd, so it catches attention. Companies operating
    in the US have a habit of spelling words wrong whenever

    To us, "disc" is like "cliq", "qwest", "thru", "raq"...

    Real UNIX uses "dsk", but IBM's name ("dasd") makes more sense
    for all the recent non-disk storage devices. The shape of the
    device does not matter; what matters is that it is a Direct
    Access Storage Device.

    Using "disc" just sucks. I think the devfs author likes to
    make the rest of the world suffer for some nationalistic
    revenge. I and many others will forever curse the damn thing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.030 / U:2.652 seconds]