    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.1-ac7
    On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > > > Swapped out pages were not being counted in the flushing limitation.
    > > >
    > > > Could you try the following patch?
    > >
    > > Marcelo's patch should do the trick wrt. to making page_launder()
    > > well-behaved again. It should fix the problems some people have
    > > seen with bursty swap behaviour.
    > It's still reluctant to shrink cache. I'm hitting I/O saturation
    > at 20 jobs vs 30 with ac5. (difference seems to be the delta in
    > space taken by cache.. ~same space shows as additional swap volume).

    Indeed, to "fix" that we'll need to work at refill_inactive().

    However, I am very much against tuning the VM for one particular
    workload. If you can show me that this problem also happens under
    other workloads we can work at changing it, but I don't think it's
    right to optimise the VM for a specific workload...

    Linux MM bugzilla:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.029 / U:131.844 seconds]