    Alan Cox wrote:
    > > It's not an incompatibility with the k7 chip, just bad code in
    > > include/asm-i386/string.h. in_interrupt() cannot be called from there.
    > The string.h code was fine, someone came along and put in a ridiculous loop
    > in the include dependancies and broke it. Nobody has had the time to untangle
    > it cleanly since

    Yes, bitrot. I don't see a rearrangement of system headers happening in 2.4.
    I'm pretty sure if I committed such a patch it would have no measurable

    > > I have posted a patch here many times since last May. Most recent was
    > > Saturday.
    > uninlining the code is too high a cost.

    I question that. Athlon does branch prediction on call targets, function
    calls are cheap. 3dnow saves 25%-50% of cycles on a copy. How many function
    calls can be paid for with 1000 cycles or so?

    My patch still inlines the standard string const_memcpy for the case of
    small known length.

    If I configure SMP for a UP box, performance is clearly not my first
    concern. If I have a real SMP Athlon system, performance should not improve
    by only using one processor.

    How about we get it to build before we optimize it?

    The Daemons lurk and are dumb. -- Emerson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:10.432 seconds]