    SubjectRe: horrible disk thorughput on itanium
    > You can be thread-safe without sucking dead baby donkeys through a straw.
    > I already mentioned two possible ways to fix it so that you have locking
    > when you need to, and no locking when you don't.

    Your proposals sound rather dangerous. They would silently break recompiled
    threaded programs that need the locking and don't use -D__REENTRANT (most
    people do not seem to use it). I doubt the possible pain from that is
    worth it for speeding up an basically obsolete interface like putc.

    i.e. if someone wants speed they definitely shouldn't use putc()

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.039 / U:90.296 seconds]