SubjectRe: horrible disk thorughput on itanium
> You can be thread-safe without sucking dead baby donkeys through a straw.
> I already mentioned two possible ways to fix it so that you have locking
> when you need to, and no locking when you don't.

Your proposals sound rather dangerous. They would silently break recompiled
threaded programs that need the locking and don't use -D__REENTRANT (most
people do not seem to use it). I doubt the possible pain from that is
worth it for speeding up an basically obsolete interface like putc.

i.e. if someone wants speed they definitely shouldn't use putc()

-Andi

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans