    SubjectRe: Kernel freezing....
    > installed two times Red Hat in this notebook during this week, and no
    > freeze was suffered during the whole installation process, which is a
    > process that as you know requires almost an hour to complete.
    > I´m just asking why the kernel doesn´t freeze during the installation
    > process (which it is supposed to run Linux I suspect :) ) and just
    > after booting and typing some commands in init 1 mode, it freezes;
    > quite strange.

    At least one possible cause is that the runtime kernels will use APM power
    management and other facilities that the install kernel intentionally avoids
    because a tiny number of boxes have it broken.

    You can boot with extra boot options (apm=off I believe it is) to disable
    APM use.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.034 / U:3.540 seconds]