SubjectRe: SMP/cc Cluster description
From
   From: Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:34:51 -0800

The data is all in a shared file system, nice and coherent, the
apps don't actually know there is another OS banging on the data,
it all just works.

Larry1: "One way to get the ccCluster scalability is by un-globalizing
the filesystem"

Larry2: "Let me tell you about this great application of ccClusters,
it involves using a shared file system. It all just works."

Either you're going to replicate everyone's content or you're going to
use a shared filesystem. In one case you'll go fast but have the same
locking problems as a traditional SMP, in the other case you'll go
slow because you'll be replicating all the time.

Which is it :-)

What I suppose is coming up is some example application that really
doesn't need a shared filesystem, which I bet will be a quite obscure
one or at least obscure enough that it can't justify ccCluster all on
it's own.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans