       From: Larry McVoy <>
    Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:34:51 -0800

    The data is all in a shared file system, nice and coherent, the
    apps don't actually know there is another OS banging on the data,
    it all just works.

    Larry1: "One way to get the ccCluster scalability is by un-globalizing
    the filesystem"

    Larry2: "Let me tell you about this great application of ccClusters,
    it involves using a shared file system. It all just works."

    Either you're going to replicate everyone's content or you're going to
    use a shared filesystem. In one case you'll go fast but have the same
    locking problems as a traditional SMP, in the other case you'll go
    slow because you'll be replicating all the time.

    Which is it :-)

    What I suppose is coming up is some example application that really
    doesn't need a shared filesystem, which I bet will be a quite obscure
    one or at least obscure enough that it can't justify ccCluster all on
    it's own.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:1.900 seconds]