    SubjectRe: SMP/cc Cluster description
    > > Most of my block drivers in Linux have one lock. The block queuing layer
    > > has one lock which is often the same lock.
    > Hooray! That's great and that's the way I'd like to keep it. Do you think
    > you can do that on a 64 way SMP? Not much chance, right?

    It wouldn't be a big problem to keep it that way on the well designed
    hardware. The badly designed stuff (here Im thinking the NCR5380 I debugged
    today since its fresh in my mind) I'd probably want 2 locks, one for queue
    locking, one for request management.

    > > Which is easier. Managing 64 routers or managing 1 router ?
    > That's a red herring, there are not 64 routers in either picture, there
    > are 64 ethernet interfaces in both pictures. So let me rephrase the
    > question: given 64 ethernets, 64 CPUs, on one machine, what's easier,
    > 1 multithreaded networking stack or 64 independent networking stacks?

    I think you miss the point. If I have to program the system as 64
    independant stacks from the app level I'm going to go slowly mad

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.019 / U:15.864 seconds]