    SubjectRe: Linux/Pro -- clusters
    On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > by the better generic block layer code. I personally hope that a year
    > > from now, if somebody wants to do a new SCSI driver, he won't even
    > > _think_ about using the SCSI code, the driver will just take the
    > > (generic SCSI) requests directly off the block queue.
    >
    > You still need the scsi code. There are a whole sequence of common, quite
    > complex and generic functions that the scsi layer handles (in paticular
    > error handling).
    >
    > Turning it the right way I up definitely agree with. It should be the driver
    > calling the scsi code to do bio->scsi request, and to do scsi error
    > recovery, not vice versa.
    >
    > There are also some tricky relationships
    > queues are per logical unit number
    > locking is mostly per controller
    > resources are often per controller

    Alan,

    Nothing that can not be handled in the core-model described earlier;
    however, I am positive that the suttle issues are more sticky than you are
    revealing now.

    Regards,

    Andre Hedrick
    Linux Disk Certification Project Linux ATA Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:0.672 seconds]