    SubjectRe: [patch] Re: Framebuffer...Why oh Why???
    On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:19:15 -0800 (PST)
    > From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
    > To: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@ashavan.org>
    > Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
    > Linux Frame Buffer Device Development
    > <linux-fbdev-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>,
    > Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo@conectiva.com.br>
    > Subject: Re: [patch] Re: Framebuffer...Why oh Why???
    >

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Timothy Covell wrote:
    > >
    > > When X11 locks up, I can still kill it and my box lives. When
    > > framebuffers crash, their is no recovery save rebooting. Back in 1995
    > > I thought that linux VTs and X11 implemenation blew Solaris out of the
    > > water, and now we want throw away our progress? I'm still astounded
    > > by the whole "oooh I can see a penquin while I boot-up" thing?
    > > Granted, frame buffers have usage in embedded systems, but do they
    > > really have to be so deeply integrated??
    >
    > They aren't.
    >
    > No sane person should use frame buffers if they have the choice.
    >
    > Like your mama told you: "Just say no". Use text-mode and X11, and be
    > happy.
    >
    > Some people don't have the choice, of course.
    >
    > Linus

    Like the no choice if having one's 11 year old syster try to use the
    thing?

    Text-mode and X11 seem to work fine if you walk on egg shells but just try
    switching from console to text mode and back again several
    times. Eventually it _will_ crash. Or worse yet mix svgalib and X11.

    My brother and sister both used to crash my system at least 3 times a week
    before framebuffer + fbdev came into play.

    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Mack

    gmack@innerfire.net

    <>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.