    SubjectRe: Bounce from
    On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:38:17 -0800 wrote:

    > On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 08:11:31PM +0100, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
    > > Nope. My personal experience with these orbses is: f*ck them.
    > > A good lot of them are _not_ contacting blacklisted ISPs. But on the
    > > other hand, some at least allow fast _unlisting_.
    > > I give you the simple and well-thought hint _not_ to use a mail
    > > configuration relying on _external_ databases whatsoever.

    > [...]
    > Would you like to be cc'ed on my spam folder? 50 to 100 spams a day?
    > Try being a member of the internet since the darpanet days and having
    > 1400 domains with your email address.

    Two notes on that:
    1) Please re-read my mail. I wrote "_external_ databases". I did not tell you
    to _not_ filter _yourself_. 2) We are just on the brink of the "communication
    century". Even if you don't like it, direct communication between people grows
    immensly, whereas broadcasting the same information to many people is stepping
    back. The reason is simple: people are beginning to dislike filtered (read
    censored) information quite a bit, they have simply been told lies too often.
    SPAM is of nature broadcasted information, but anyway you would probably not
    mind getting the complete same info as a mail _only_ addressed to you. Still
    you would choose to delete it, because it may be of no special interest for
    you, but you would most certainly not get that angry about it. What I basically
    want to say: just live with it. I personally decided so, because I can very
    well see the good point: no need to rely on censored (may be for political or
    economical reasons) (tv-)broadcasted information about the world out there.
    Today you can just talk to a lot of people around the world _personally_.

    > Not an easy task. At least in my country and specifically the
    > internet people are free to interact with others in the way they
    > find best.

    Well, I think this is good, you don't?

    > Some people have spam filters, some don't.

    In the end it's all a matter of who to trust more: yourself or others.

    Just to give you a small glimpse: I get several hundred mails a day, my top day
    in 2001 reached 832. Interestingly spam is no more than about 5%, and I use
    _no_ filter at all (besides my brain :-).

    And to end it: I don't want to have _any_ worldcontrol ;-)

    PS: If you want to go ahead in this talk, please keep it off LKML, it doesn't
    look like common interest to me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:89.312 seconds]