    SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system
    Date
    On December 29, 2001 09:13 am, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Legacy Fishtank wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:44:10PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
    > > > What Mr. Fishtank seems to overlook is that kbuild 2.5 is far more
    > > > flexible and accurate than 2.4, including features that lots of people
    > > > want, like separate source and object trees.
    > >
    > > I don't see the masses, or, well, anybody on lkml, clamoring for this.
    >
    > Clamour.

    Clamour.

    Broke my tree yesterday, rm -rf was the fastest/easiest way out.

    Immediately after make -j2 bzImage, make bzImage seems to rebuild about half
    the tree.

    Many incidents of time-wasting breakage over the last couple of years for me.

    > Keith says it speeds up builds where only a small number of files
    > have changed. For me, that's the common case.

    Ooh, yes!

    > I'd like to hear more from Keith on where this 100% actually occurs,
    > but if he says it's fixable in a (give him four) week timeframe,
    > I believe him.

    He said something about reloading dependencies on each compile.

    --
    Daniel