    SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking
    On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > that people avoid merge conflicts because they hurt, because of
    > the poor tools.
    > "Docter it hurts when I have to merge"
    > "So don't do that."

    What I've seen happen quite frequently...

    developer a: "Hey, here's a patch to do aaaa"

    maintainer: "Ah, I've already sent Linus a patch to merge changes from
    developer b in this area, but your changes look ok. can you resync when
    Linus puts next patch out, and send me the rediffed copy again?"

    developer: "Sure, no problem".

    Alternatively its maintainer telling developer a "Ah, I've a bunch of
    stuff queued from developer b, you guys need to talk on this and work
    out how to get this stuff working together, get back to me when you've
    work it out".

    People management rather than source management systems.

    | Dave Jones.
    | SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.024 / U:15.288 seconds]