    SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking
    On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 05:59:15PM -0600, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

    > > > No
    > >
    > > OK, so there are no significant numbers of patches that the patchbot will
    > > eliminate, by your admission.
    > Except for the ones that get garbage collected after each new kernel

    Which is how many? Do you have _any_ data which shows that this is going
    to do anything? Everything I know says that you're in the 1% area. My
    experience is perhaps different than yours, but I'd like to know why.

    > > So what's the point? What is the problem you have solved? And where's
    > > the code? This sounds like you have whittled it down to a cgi-script of
    > > about 100 lines of perl. How about building it and demonstrating the
    > > usefulness rather than telling us how great it is going to be?
    > The original suggestion (about the possibility of compile-testing patches
    > incrementally) was dependent on kbuild and CML2 being in the kernel
    > already, but I do have a proof-of-concept for the rest in the works.

    Great, so set it up, write a parser that grabs all the patches out of the
    list, run them through your system, and report back how much it helps.
    I don't think it will but if it does and you are willing to do the work,
    more power to you.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.021 / U:4.012 seconds]