    SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system
    Linus Torvalds <>:
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    > > I'm not certain what you're objecting to, and I want to understand it.
    > > There are rules that use architecture symbols to suppress things like
    > > bus types. I presume that's not a problem for you, but tell me if it is.
    > It _is_ a problem for me, because I want to do "diffstat" on a patch from
    > a PPC maintainer, and if I see anything non-PPC, loud ringing
    > noises go off in my head. I want that diffstat to say _only_
    > arch/ppc/...
    > include/asm-ppc/...
    > and nothing else. That way I know that I don't have to worry.

    Perhaps we're talking past each other. I don't understand your objection
    yet, and I want to so I can design (or redesign) to meet it.

    When I talk about "rules that use architecture symbols to suppress
    things like bus types" I have in mind things like this:

    unless X86 suppress dependent MCA EISA
    unless MIPS32 suppress dependent TC
    unless (PCI and (X86 or SUPERH)) suppress pci_access
    unless (ISA or PCI) suppress dependent IDE
    unless PCI suppress dependent USB HOTPLUG_PCI
    unless (X86 or ALPHA or MIPS32 or PPC) suppress usb
    unless (X86 and PCI and EXPERIMENTAL) or PPC or ARM or SPARC suppress dependent IEEE1394
    unless (M68K or ALL_PPC) suppress MACINTOSH_DRIVERS
    unless SPARC suppress dependent FC4
    unless ARCH_S390==n suppress buses

    It seems to me *extremely* unlikely that a typical patch from a PPC maintainer
    would mess with any of these! They're rules that are likely to be written
    once at the time a new port is added to the tree and seldom or ever changed

    Thus I really don't think you have to worry about spurious spikes in
    your diffstat. The root rules.cml file will not change very often --
    I know this is true, because I can look at the RCS history since I
    broke it out in response to your request at the Kernel Summit and
    *see* that changes have been few and sparse.

    > In contrast, if it starts talking about Documentation/ and
    > the main config file, I start worrying.

    Rightly so in the latter case. patches shouldn't worry
    you, I don't think. It's not like they can actually break anything.

    > For example, that MATHEMU thing is just ugly. It was perfectly fine in the
    > per-architecture version, now it suddenly has magic dependencies just
    > because different architectures call it different things, and different
    > architectures have different rules on when it's needed.

    It sounds to me like you're agreeing that it *shouldn't* be called
    different things, and thus with my goal of cleaning this mess up the
    rest of the way. Yes? No?

    Guidance, please. I am, as ever, willing to meet your concerns.
    But I have to understand clearly what they are in order to do that.

    "...The Bill of Rights is a literal and absolute document. The First
    Amendment doesn't say you have a right to speak out unless the
    government has a 'compelling interest' in censoring the Internet. The
    Second Amendment doesn't say you have the right to keep and bear arms
    until some madman plants a bomb. The Fourth Amendment doesn't say you
    have the right to be secure from search and seizure unless some FBI
    agent thinks you fit the profile of a terrorist. The government has no
    right to interfere with any of these freedoms under any circumstances."
    -- Harry Browne, 1996 USA presidential candidate, Libertarian Party

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.032 / U:28.116 seconds]