    SubjectRe: 2.4.17 absurd number of context switches
    On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > local_irq_disable();
    > > if (current->counter > 0)
    > > --current->counter;
    > > local_irq_enable();
    > Umm: SuS sayeth..
    > The sched_yield() function forces the running thread to relinquish the
    > processor until it again becomes the head of its thread list. It takes
    > no arguments.
    > Which doesnt seem to be what you are doing.

    1) the scheduler in 2.5.2-pre3 does it in a different way because the
    dynamic priority is split from the time slice.

    2) the current scheduler does not permit you doing such a thing in a smart
    way so, if i've to choose i prefer an implementation that solves
    real world cases. i challenge you to measure the counter tick loss
    during the yield() call anyway. it's very easy indeed to measure
    the current behavior, like we're currently seeing

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:14.452 seconds]