    SubjectRe: Configure.help editorial policy
    On Thursday, 27 December 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On December 27, 2001 12:34 am, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
    > > Although I thought there was an agreement that decimal kilobyte is kB,
    > > and binary kilobyte is KiB, decimal megabyte is MB, binary megabyte is MB
    > > and so on, wasn't there?
    >
    > Not in my book. As far as I'm concerned, somebody who tells me that one KB
    > of memory or disk is 1,000 bytes is a liar. When a disk manufacturer chooses
    > to interpret KB in such a way as to make their disk seem bigger, I just say
    > to myself "ok, they lied, that's what they do, they're in business and they
    > don't care". Now could we just ignore the self-serving doublespeak
    > promulgated by greedy manufacturers, and continue using KB please?
    >
    > Kilo, as in memory -> 1024
    > Kilo, as in distance or weight -> 1,000
    >
    > Difficult?
    >
    > /me wonders when the kibblebytes thread is going to end

    /me wonders when people will learn to read more carefully
    (no offense intended) :-)

    If you look at my post more closely, you'll see I used `kB' (that's small
    k and capital B) for decimal kilobyte. I would never suggest using `KB'
    (that's capital K and capital B) for it. I do agree that `KB' is traditionally
    used for binary kilobytes, but what about MB, GB and so on? These _are_
    ambiguous. I am in favour of using Ki, Mi and Gi for binary quantities.

    Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)we.are.one.pl>