    SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > > > Huh. I'm not sure I understand this. Once you accept a patch into the
    > > > mainline source, are these people still supposed to maintain that patch?
    > >
    > > [Linus stuff]
    > But this didn't answer my question at all. My question was why is this a
    > problem related to a source management system? I can see how to exactly
    > mimic what described Al doing in BK so if that is the definition of goodness,
    > the addition (or absence) of a SCM doesn't seem to change the answer.

    Ok, I see what you are asking for.

    No, I'm taking a bigger view. A patch is not just a "patch". A patch has a
    lot of stuff around it, one being the unknowable information on whether
    the sender of the patch is somebody who will do a good job maintaining the
    things the patch impacts.

    That's something a source control system doesn't give you - but that
    doesn't mean that you cannot use a SCM as a tool anyway.

    > I _think_ what you are saying is that an SCM where your repository is a
    > wide open black hole with no quality control is a problem, but that's
    > not the SCM's fault. You are the filter, the SCM is simply an accounting/
    > filing system.

    Right. But that's true only if I use SCM as a _personal_ medium, which
    doesn't help my external patch acceptance.

    So even if I used CVS or BK internally, that's not what people _gripe_
    about. People want write access, not just a SCM.

    > but your typical SCM has the end user doing the merges, not the maintainer.
    > If you had an SCM system which allowed the maintainer to do all or some of
    > the merging, would that help?

    Well, that's what the filesystem is for me right now ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.022 / U:18.784 seconds]