SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > came out, and emailed me when the patch no longer applies.
>
> ... or compiles, or applies with an offset

Good.

We actually talked inside Transmeta about doing a lot of this automation
centralized (and OSDL took up some of that idea), but yes, from a resource
usage sanity standpoint this is something that _trivially_ can be done at
the sending side, and thus scales out perfectly (while trying to do it at
the receiving end requires some _mondo_ hardware that definitely doesn't
scale, especially for the "compiles cleanly" part).

Linus