    SubjectRe: Configure.help editorial policy
    On Wednesday, 26 December 2001, Cameron Simpson wrote:

    > | > One of the arguments for the KiB declaration, despite the ugliness
    > | > of "kibibytes", is that a newbie seeing "32KiB" is quite likely to
    > | > deduce what's meant from context. Let's not exaggerate the
    > | > difficulties here.
    > |
    > | Alternatively, deal with this problem the same way the "This may also be
    > | built as a module..." comment is - either include it several thousand
    > | times in Configure.help or (better still) have the configuration tools
    > | spit it out automatically every time the need for it crops up. The
    > | following ruleset could easily be implemented even in the `make config`
    > | and `make menuconfig` parsers, and should be just as easy in CML2.
    > | Applying rule (1) will result in a considerable reduction in the size of
    > | the file Documentation/Configure.help as it currently stands.
    > |
    > | Comments, anybody?
    >
    > I like this!

    I second this. Being a translator of the file in question, I have to deal
    with ten slightly different versions of "You may also compile this as
    a module...". So I have ten slighlty different translations of this text,
    too, in the name of accuracy.

    Although I thought there was an agreement that decimal kilobyte is kB,
    and binary kilobyte is KiB, decimal megabyte is MB, binary megabyte is MB
    and so on, wasn't there?

    Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)we.are.one.pl>