    SubjectRe: severe slowdown with 2.4 series w/heavy disk access
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > total used free shared buffers
    > > cached
    > > Mem: 417472 412192 5280 0 20632
    > > 315680
    >
    > Thyose values dont show any problems. In fact your machine seems to think it
    > had a ton of free memory to waste and has let it fill up with stuff that has
    > been accessed - just on the chance that it may be reused.
    >
    > It hasn't even felt enough memory pressure to start swapping. When you
    > say it "becomes slow", what precisely becomes slow ?

    When this happens in X, the mouse drags and skips, any processes running
    (like tar/gzip. ls in an empty dir takes about 10 seconds) slow down,
    and it happens usually for about 10sec-2min, often for no apparent
    reason. The big decompression was just a way I can easily duplicate
    it. Oddly enough though, according to top, it caches all that memory at
    once, and my free goes down to 5 megs, with the system hanging/slow to
    respond, for 10sec-2min. Even typing in the console has delay before
    the characters appear, and according to top, tar and gz are both using
    under 1% cpu while this happens, and about 50% of the cpu is in use by
    the system (not by any processes that I can see. kupdated goes up to
    about 0.3% during this)

    > Also what disks do you have and how are they set up ?
    > -

    /dev/hdb3 on / type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/hdb4 on /home type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /dos/c type vfat (rw)
    /dev/hdb1 on /dos/d type vfat (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)

    and my swap is /dev/hdb2

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.024 / U:29.740 seconds]