    SubjectRe: editorial policy
    On Thursday, 27 December 2001, Riley Williams wrote:
    > Hi Dominik.
    > > I second this. Being a translator of the file in question, I have to
    > > deal with ten slightly different versions of "You may also compile
    > > this as a module...". So I have ten slighlty different translations
    > > of this text, too, in the name of accuracy.
    > I have to admit that I hadn't considered translators, but perhaps it
    > could be made even simpler for you. How about having the help file start
    > with a set of standard definitions, such as the following...
    > ===8<=== CUT ===>8===
    [cut indeed :-)]
    > ===8<=== CUT ===>8===
    > The rules would then reduce to "If the relevant condition applies,
    > append the text associated with the relevant DEFINE_ symbol to the help
    > text to be issued" and this could be done with an additional call to the
    > routine to extract the appropriate help text from the file. In addition,
    > your translation efforts would be restricted to just the
    > file, and you wouldn't have to tweak the various configuration scripts
    > at the same time - and this would also ensure that the various config
    > scripts all used exactly the same help text.

    Nice, but - as Eric pointed out - there are many options where the
    "available as module" text actually contains a module name, which
    causes problems and makes your proposition insufficient for our needs.
    A complete solution would require serious changes which Eric doesn't
    want to introduce into a stable version.

    > > Although I thought there was an agreement that decimal kilobyte is
    > > kB, and binary kilobyte is KiB, decimal megabyte is MB, binary
    > > megabyte is MiB and so on, wasn't there?
    > That's the standard that the IEC has defined, and what this thread is
    > all about. Whether it'll get anywhere remains to be seen - ask Ted T'so
    > about the dangers of early adoption of proposed standards, and he'll
    > probably explain where his surname came from...

    Perhaps I will. But I still don't understand why you insist on choosing
    an opposite notation - that is xiB for decimal and xB for binary.
    If at all, I would change the traditional convention to something
    exactly opposite, i.e. xiB for binary and xB for decimal, because
    M(mega),G(giga), etc. are standard SI units.

    PS. Don't Cc: me next time you reply, ok? I'm subscribed to lkml.

    Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:3.380 seconds]