    SubjectRe: Total system lockup with Alt-SysRQ-L
    On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Russell King wrote:

    > The problem was definitely in the exit_notify code, where it
    > manipulated the task links indefinitely. (I think it was cptr never
    > becomes null, so the loop never terminates).
    >
    > However, if we're saying that "pid1 must not die" then maybe we should
    > get rid of the 'killall' sysrq option since it serves no useful
    > purpose, and add a suitable panic in the do_exit path?
    >
    > I'll generate a patch for that if there's interest.

    What would be even better, and I think there may already be such an
    option, would be a one-button "sync up all the disks, forbid any more
    writes, save as much state as possbile (registers, memory) to a swap
    partition, set a flag for crash dump processing and reboot" capability.

    --
    M. Edward Borasky

    znmeb@borasky-research.net
    http://www.borasky-research.net

    If God had meant carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits
    fire.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.022 / U:60.828 seconds]