    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
    At 10:43 AM 12/23/01 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
    >If you are more interested in the choices of the marketplace than in
    >technical correctness, one has to wonder what you're doing on this mailing

    Nice ad hominem attack, David. Attack the messenger. Good boy.

    If you recall (or perhaps you have placed me in your kill file) I mentioned
    that the last place you want to make a sudden change in terminology is in
    the most public of places, the configuration help file. You also missed my
    call to use the new abbreviations FIRST within the kernel itself, in /proc,
    and in those userland utilities that report system resource usage. If the
    universe of Linux users accept it (translation: no flames erupt) then you
    can consider populating the configuration help files with them.

    I also mentioned that we have a very, very large base of "legacy users" who
    do not understand what MiB would be (outside of the context of the movie
    _Men in Black_) and who would become very, very confused. In short, making
    the change would CONFUSE THE NON-TECHNICAL USERS more than they already are.

    I'm not against technical correctness. I'm against witless, thoughtless,
    blind deployment of an idea without considering the consequences of that

    Don't underestimate the power of "the market." Have you seen much about
    MINIX lately?

    Stephen Satchell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.020 / U:37.252 seconds]