    SubjectRe: How to fix false positives on references to discarded text/data?

    --On Sunday, 23 December, 2001 8:17 PM +1100 Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
    wrote:

    > (5) Post process the objects before ld sees them, remove the dangling
    > references in safe sections.
    >
    > Will probably mess up timestamps on objects, as well as requiring
    > yet another program for kernel build. Cross compiling would be
    > "interesting".

    1+5) (seeing as you seem to have already written some perl); would it
    be possible to run our own perl code to check for whichever dangling
    references we are concerned about (and not those we aren't), then do

    > (1) Drop the ld check for discarded sections.
    >
    > I don't want to lose the ld check, it has already found several
    > bits of buggy code. For example, usb_uhci.c calls the exit routine
    > from the init code on error, but the exit code has been discarded
    > in vmlinux - oops. New binutils flagged that bug and others.

    This would seem to have the advantage of better readability of errors
    too.

    --
    Alex Bligh