SubjectRe: file corruption in 2.4.16/17

Christian,

Don't take the tone personally, it is directed at the primary kernel
maintainers.

Well I will promise you that it is not my driver! Additionally there has
been a private blanket test to authenticate it is doing the correct thing.
Now the legacy driver in the stock kernels have the ablitity to fail but
very rarely.

So I suggest you use a corrected driver found at www.linuxdiskcert.org.

There will be an update for 2.4.17, but if you choose the use the legacy
driver and you have FSC, TOUGH! I have offered out a tested and domain
validated driver and nobody wants it.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
CEO/President, LAD Storage Consulting Group
Linux ATA Development
Linux Disk Certification Project

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Christian Ohm wrote:

> hi.
>
> i've recently bought a new 80gb ide drive, and am now getting corrupted
> files on it. i've made three partitions for linux on it, a small ext2 one as
> root, and two larger ones with reiserfs as /usr and /var. the problem is
> that now some files get randomly corrupted; they are the right size, but
> contain some random garbage (searching the archive for this list just came
> up with some issues around july / kernel 2.4.6), which makes the system
> pretty much unusable.
>
> my old setup with a 20gb ide drive and a 4.5gb scsi drive worked flawlessly
> for at least a year with reiserfs, so this seems to be a problem with
> reiserfs and large drives (i haven't found a corrupted file on the ext2
> partition (yet)). my hardware is: a nmc (now enmic) 8tax+ mainboard with via
> kt133 chipset (newest bios), a maxtor d540x-4k 80gb harddrive and a quantum
> lct15 20gb harddrive. i used kernel 2.4.16 with the preemtion patch, but
> 2.4.17 seems to have the same problem.
>
> windows had a problem with the maxtor drive, too. i made a fat32 partition
> and copied the files from the old drive under linux. worked perfectly, but
> when reading the partition with windows, it showed a corrupted file system.
> i had to install a special ide driver not included in the via 4in1 drivers
> to read it correctly, but now it works without problems.
>
> i'd be happy if there's a solution for this, as, like i said, the system now
> is pretty much unusable.
>
> bye
> christian ohm
>
> ps.: i'm not subscribed to this list, so please cc me on any replies to this
> thread. thanks.
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.230 / U:0.632 seconds]