    SubjectRe: IDE Harddrive Performance

    Jim and Adam,

    I recommend that you check out the smartsuite package described in It showed me that when a Maxtor
    drive I recently purchased dropped from 40MB/sec to 1MB/sec throughput, it
    was having an incredible number of "Hardware ECC Recovered" (SMART
    attribute 195) events. I guess some bit chunk of the magnetic media had
    failed, in a way that still allowed the drive to recover all the data, but
    so that the overhead of the requisite ECC was killing the throughput. I
    ended up returning it for a replacement.

    Cheers, Wayne

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.021 / U:2.712 seconds]