    SubjectRe: affinity and tasklets...

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Ashok Raj wrote:

    > In a MP case, we would like 2 separate processors taking the
    > completion processing. But running tasklets dont seem to suit this
    > since it basically queues on the same CPU that is currently running,
    > and this means both get queued to the same tasklet_vec[cpu]. But i
    > want each to run on a separate CPU. is using softirq the right method?
    > or could i have cpu affinity for tasklets? (i know there is afficinity
    > for interrupts, but iam not aware of this for tasklets.)

    you'll get a natural affinity of tasklets: they will run on the processor
    where the tasklet got activated. Tasklets are just a special form of
    softirqs, they have no context in the classic task sense, the only
    difference they have to softirqs is that the tasklet code guarantees
    single-threadedness of the function executed.

    if you are going to rely on tasklets for good SMP scalability then i'd
    suggest using a separate tasklet for every device IRQ. Then bind hardirqs
    to a particular CPU - thus both the hardirq, the softirq/tasklet will run
    on the same processor.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.021 / U:10.068 seconds]