SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.17
Date
On December 21, 2001 08:44 pm, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> > Marcelo wrote:
> >
> > > Well,
> > >
> > > Here it is...
> > >

> > > final:
> > >
> > > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> > > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> > > Irongate chipset configuration compile
> > > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
> > >
> > > rc2:
> > >
> > > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
> > > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
> >
> > Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> > release candidate and final'?
>
> I haven't said that, did I?
>
> I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.

I'll weigh in on this one, basically a "me too". The only changelog entry I
find unsettling is "Fix more loopback deadlocks" and all I have to say about
it is: remember what happened when Al fixed the iput bug. I'm not suggesting
that there was no basic idiot testing - I'm practically certain you did some
yourself, but it would have been oh-so-nice to have an rc3 that lived for at
least a short time on the kernel list before going to final.

By the way, great job managing this first major point release (2.4.16 doesn't
really count ;-).

--
Daniel