    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
    Mike Eldridge wrote:

    > i have seen kB instead of KB in many places. and the only place i've
    > ever seen kilo abbreviated as K has been with respect to binary.
    >>[however I've never seen 'Kg' instead of 'kg', but 'mB' or 'mb' are ugly
    >>when compared with 'Mb' and 'MB', not counting that 'b' is bit and 'B' is
    >>byte ... well ... it's confusing sometimes ...]
    > i was going to comment about simply using lowercase equivalents, but
    > then milli already has 'm', although the concept of a millibyte (or even
    > millibit) is absurd.

    Why? For instance a millibyte/s might be a hearbeat across a LAN every
    hour or so or it might be a control traffic requirement for a deep space
    probe. You might not have an immediate use for the term but it has a
    specific meaning - and certainly isn't "absurd" (see definition on

    Engineers not (yet) being familiar with the relatively new SI (and IEEE)
    binary prefixes is just about acceptable. "Engineers" that misuse k/K
    and (worse!) m/M should be in a different field entirely. The SI system
    is generally taught as basic science to pre-teenagers. There is no

    P.S. Merry Christmas / Mid winter festival / whatever you choose
    to celebrate :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.022 / U:5.964 seconds]