    SubjectRe: Configure.help editorial policy
    On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

    > What, and *encourage* non-uniform terminology? No, I won't do that.
    > Better to have a single standard set of abbreviations, no matter how
    > ugly, than this.

    Last I checked the purpose of language was _communication_.

    Better use words people understand.

    Also, the kB vs KiB mess is so ambiguous and complex that
    it virtually guarantees that the _writers_ of documentation
    will get it wrong occasionally and only confuse the readers
    more.

    As a last point, we shouldn't forget about the inconsistent
    way in which the marketing departments of hardware vendors
    apply these units to their products. In many cases binary
    and decimal units are mixed, leading to something which is
    impossible to "get right". Disk space would be one example
    of this, but I'm sure there are more.

    regards,

    Rik
    --