    SubjectRe: editorial policy
    Stephen Satchell <>:
    > What kills me is that people forget the origin of KB as a standard
    > designation for "kilobyte" in the first place. Does anyone remember the
    > KSR-33 teletype, the early dot-matrix printers, and other output devices
    > that output only upper-case characters? Maybe you youngsters don't recall
    > that lower-case character devices were EXPENSIVE -- I still have a TI
    > Silent 700 terminal that did output lower-case when connected to systems
    > that understood the full ASCII alphabet, but those systems were few and far
    > between in business applications -- upper-case-only was "good enough." How
    > about tab machines that never did have lower-case, such as the 407 printing
    > accounting machine?

    That's right, kids. And furthermore, we had to walk to the computer
    center uphill. Both ways. In the snow. Empty out the chad buckets
    twice a day. And crimp backplane wires with our teeth, while the
    machine was *on*!

    > So here we are, campers, arguing about abbreviations when in fact there is
    > no real NEED for abbreviations outside of the config symbol space. Why not
    > just take the few extra bytes (they are not a penny each anymore) to spell
    > out what you really mean?

    Alas, this is not a solution -- because expanding all the abbrevs would
    just get us into the argument over "kilobytes" vs. "kibibytes". And,
    while I can just barely make myself choke down "KiB" for the sake of
    clarity, "kibibytes" is beyond my tolerance. Aaarrggghhh....

    All governments are more or less combinations against the
    people. . .and as rulers have no more virtue than the ruled. . .
    the power of government can only be kept within its constituted
    bounds by the display of a power equal to itself, the collected
    sentiment of the people.
    -- Benjamin Franklin Bache, in a Phildelphia Aurora editorial 1794

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:35.228 seconds]