    SubjectRe: Configure.help editorial policy
    David Garfield <garfield@irving.iisd.sra.com>:
    > Eric S. Raymond writes:
    > > What, and *encourage* non-uniform terminology? No, I won't do that.
    > > Better to have a single standard set of abbreviations, no matter how
    > > ugly, than this.
    >
    > Valid argument. I will point out that the current version is
    > non-uniform. Quoting from Configure.help :
    >

    > > # Choice: himem
    > > High Memory support
    > > CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM
    > > Linux can use up to 64 Gigabytes of physical memory on x86 systems.
    > > However, the address space of 32-bit x86 processors is only 4
    > > Gigabytes large. That means that, if you have a large amount of
    > > physical memory, not all of it can be "permanently mapped" by the
    > > kernel. The physical memory that's not permanently mapped is called
    > > "high memory".
    > >
    > > If you are compiling a kernel which will never run on a machine with
    > > more than 960 megabytes of total physical RAM, answer "off" here
    > > (default choice and suitable for most users). This will result in a
    > > "3GiB/1GiB" split: 3GiB are mapped so that each process sees a 3GiB
    > > virtual memory space and the remaining part of the 4GiB virtual memory
    > > space is used by the kernel to permanently map as much physical memory
    > > as possible.
    > >
    > > If the machine has between 1 and 4 Gigabytes physical RAM, then
    > > answer "4GB" here.
    >

    > Note "3GiB/1GiB" and "4GB".

    Yeah, that's because I can't touch the symbol namespace. Not yet, anyway.

    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
    oppression: for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that
    will reach unto himself. -- Thomas Paine