    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
    On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:43:40 -0600, Bob Glamm wrote:

    >On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:48:22PM +0000, Mike Jagdis wrote:
    >> Go look up "SI binary prefix" and "SI prefix" on Google. You might
    >> not _like_ the binary prefixes (I don't either) but they're what's
    >> been standardized and they're unambiguous. It does no good to claim
    >> that it's enough that *you* know what you mean. This isn't Alice in
    >> Wonderland (you can look that reference up in your spare time :-) ).
    >SI standards have been around for years. Yet many mechanical
    >engineers in the US still use English units. Convention and
    >economics dictate that they do so; any change in this field is quite

    Did the US ever go metric ? Europe (minus the UK of course) did, and rarely
    looked back. AFAIK (please correct me), the US never went metric. Don't they
    still use Fahrenheit and all that weird stuff ?
    Oh, and btw - those non-metric units are not "English units", but "Imperial units",
    if you want to picky :-)

    >Somehow I expect that the same convention and economics factors will
    >also dominate the argument over prefixes for bits of information
    >in this field for years to come as well.

    That I agree with - although I suspect manufacturers increasing will go for
    the IEC standards - I used to work for StorageTek where an argument just like
    this went on about 2 years ago - the IEC side won. Generally the hardware
    people were all for IEC, and the software side less so.

    Per Jessen, Zurich

    Per Jessen, Zurich - home of the J1 serial console.

    Windows 2001: "I'm sorry Dave ... I'm afraid I can't do that."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:37.908 seconds]