    SubjectRe: User-manageable sub-ids proposals
    On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:36:16AM +0100, Romano Giannetti wrote:

    > I was thinking about the idea of sub-ids to enable users to run "untrusted"
    > binary or "dangerous" one without risk for their files/privacy.

    Most parts of your proposal can be implemented in userspace, without
    any kernel changes.

    In fact, most parts /are/ already implemented, and only waiting to be
    configured properly. It's called "sudo".

    The only deficiency of the userspace only approach I see at the moment
    is that you can't impersonate the slave user from the main user id
    regarding to filesystem access. This can be worked around with proper
    permissions if you take the "one group/one user" approach, all
    slave users will have the main users group.

    Andreas
    --
    Andreas Ferber - dev/consulting GmbH - Bielefeld, FRG