    SubjectRe: minimizing swap usage
    On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, christian e wrote:

    > Hi,all
    >
    > Can someone give me a pointer to how I can avoid somethign like this:
    >
    > foo@bar]$ free -m
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 249 245 4 0 6 136
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 102 147
    > Swap: 243 89 153
    >
    > What's with all the caching when my apps crawl because it's swapping so
    > much ? I've tried to adjust /proc/vm/kswapd parameters but that doesn't
    > seem to help..I'd like to postpone the swapping until its almost out of
    > physical memory..

    This may seem counterintuitive, but postponing swapping / cache flushing
    to disk till the last possible moment is counterproductive. It's a
    little like procrastination in the time management world -- when the
    time finally comes when you *have* to flush stuff out to disk, your poor
    daemons / kernel threads go catatonic trying to keep up, and you end up
    both CPU-bound and I/O bound. It is far better to have enough free
    memory available to satisfy the demand for pages, even if that means
    *raising* the watermarks, *more* swapping and smaller page caches.
    --
    M. Edward Borasky

    znmeb@borasky-research.net
    http://www.borasky-research.net

    When puns are outlawed, only inlaws will have gnus.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.027 / U:31.048 seconds]