    SubjectRe: aio

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, David S. Miller wrote:
    > Ok, TUX can do it. Now list for me some server that really matters
    > other than web and ftp?

    Now now, that's unfair. We should be able to do it in user space.

    I think the question you _should_ be lobbying at Ben and the other aio
    people is how the aio stuff could do zero-copy from disk cache to the
    network, ie do the things that Tux does internally where it does
    nonblocking reads from disk ad then sends them out non-blocking to the
    network without havign to copy the data _or_ have to use extremely
    expensive TLB mapping tricks to get at it..

    Ie tie the "sendfile" and "aio" threads together, and ask Ben if we can do
    aio-sendfile and have thousands of asynchronous sendfiles going on at the
    same time, like Tux can do. And if not, then why not? Missing or bad

    Ben? Doing user-space IO is all well and good, but that extra copy and TLB
    stuff kills you. Tell us how to do it ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.032 / U:120.280 seconds]