    SubjectRe: [OT] Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.hel p.
    Date
    On Thursday 20 December 2001 03:12 pm, Wilfried Weissmann wrote:
    > [snip]

    > >>This "international" standard seems to have excluded a few
    > >> countries. It wasn't until it was SET that I even heard of its
    > >> existance. (And then only through SLASHDOT!)
    > >>
    > >>Everyone I know has been using KB/MB/GB for 1024 forever. The
    > >> *only* exception is networking, and the occasional FLASH/ROM size.
    > >> The latter isn't very common discussion, and among those that it
    > >> is, they'd know what the other was talking about. For the former,
    > >> I can distinguish easily depending on who it is.
    > >>
    > >>Someone without a lot of experience: I have a 1MB connection. (this
    > >>user has a 1 Megabit connection)
    > >>
    > >>Someone with experience: I have a 1mb/Mb connection. (This person
    > >> has a 1 megabit connection has used a "standard" abbreviation.)
    > >
    > > You have a 1 millibit per Megabit connection?!?!
    >
    > Yeah, she/he uses compression! *ROFL* Sorry, couldn't resist! :)))

    engineer 1: how can we drive network users more insane?
    engineer 2: new compression scheme!
    engineer 1: yeah! how about we add a bunch of random data to the end of
    every packet?
    engineer2: brilliant!

    3 months later:
    Nicholas Knight introduces the world to mPM compression.

    (translation: DOH!)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:3.454 / U:0.128 seconds]