SubjectRe: [RFC] Scheduler issue 1, RT tasks ...
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, george anzinger wrote:

> Davide Libenzi wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to have some comments about RT tasks implementation in a SMP
> > system because POSIX it's not clear about how the priority rules apply to
> > multiprocessor systems.
> > The Balanced Multi Queue Scheduler ( BMQS, http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/mss-2.html )
> > i'm working on tries to keep CPU schedulers the more independent as
> > possible and currently implements two kind of RT tasks, local one and
> > global ones.
> > Local RT tasks apply POSIX priority rules inside the local CPU, that means
> > that an RT task running on CPU0 cannot preempt another task ( being it
> > normal or RT ) on CPU1. This keeps schedulers interlocking very low
> > because of the very fast path in reschedule_idle() ( no multi lock
> > acquisition, CPU queue loops, etc...).
> > Global RT tasks, that live in a separate run queue, have the ability to
> > preempt remote CPU and this can lead ( in the unfortunate case that the
> > last CPU running the RT task is running another RT task ) to an higher
> > cost in reschedule_idle().
> > The check for a global RT task selection is done in a very fast way before
> > checking the local queue :
> >
> > if (!list_empty(&runqueue_head(RT_QID)))
> > goto rt_queue_select;
> > rt_queue_select_back:
> >
> > and this does not affect the scheduler latency at all.
> > On the contrary, by having a separate queue for global RT tasks, can
> > improve it in high run queue load cases.
> > The local/global RT task selection is done with setscheduler() with a new
> > ( or'ed ) flag SCHED_RTGLOBAL, and this means that the default is RT task
> > local.
> > I'd like to have comments on this before jumping to the next Scheduler
> > issue ( balancing mode ).
> >
> My understanding of the POSIX standard is the the highest priority
> task(s) are to get the cpu(s) using the standard calls. If you want to
> deviate from this I think the standard allows extensions, but they IMHO
> should be requested, not the default, so I would turn your flag around
> to force LOCAL, not GLOBAL.

So, you're basically saying that for a better standard compliancy it's
better to have global preemption policy by default. And having users to
request rt tasks localization explicitly. It's fine for me.

- Davide

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.264 / U:0.092 seconds]