    SubjectRe: aio
    "David S. Miller" wrote:
    > If AIO was so relevant+sexy we'd be having threads of discussion about
    > the AIO implementation instead of threads about how relevant it is or
    > is not for the general populace. Wouldn't you concur? :-)
    > The people doing Java server applets are such a small fraction of the
    > Linux user community.

    People writing code for NT/Win2K/WinXP are being channelled into
    using AIO because that's the way to do things there (NT doesn't
    really support nonblocking I/O). Thus another valid economic
    reason AIO is important is to make it easier to port code from NT.
    I have received requests from NT folks for things like aio_recvfrom()
    (and have passed them on to Ben), so I'm not just guessing here.

    As should be clear from my c10k page, I love nonblocking I/O,
    but I firmly believe that some form of AIO is vital.

    - Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.027 / U:4.200 seconds]